3 Tips To Help you Avoid Plagiarism.
Plagiarism is no joke- here are three tips to help you avoid plagiarism:
Use Quotes Correctly
- Write the words out exactly as written with quotation marks at the beginning and end of the quote.
- Write a sentence (or sentences ) introducing each quote.
- Follow the quote with sentences explaining the importance of the quote.
- All quotes are followed by the citation.
- Use paraphrasing with small amounts of text (a sentence to a paragraph).
- Read the text to ensure you understand the point that the author is trying to make. next, re-write the sentence from memory, therefore placing the information in your own words. Next, read both the original and the new version, and make sure you have kept the meaning of the sentence without using the authors words exactly.
- When you paraphrase, you must follow with the citation.
- A summary is used when you have a lot of text (more than 2 paragraphs).
- A summary gives a broad overview of the main points of the work
- When you use a summary, you must follow with the citation.
Check out these examples:
Links for more Information:
Colorado State Writing Studio